Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sept 26/27 - Olney Horse Trials



After almost 3 months without competing Sassy and I are finally back in action now we have a new truck. However, we were definitely a little rusty since we were also not able to trailer out for training. So we've hardly done any jumping and not jumped cross country since June. Still we decided to move up to Training Level (3ft3) - bring it on! We did a good dressage test and were in 3rd place, we were the only clean round stadium jumping, so that moved us up to first place. Then usually you go XC right after SJ, but the jump judges weren't ready, so we had to wait about 20mins and I think this took the edge and focus off Sassy. She balked a little at the first fence, slowed down and then jumped HUGE over it (not wanting to get her feet anywhere near the spooky flowers on top of the fence). I was not prepared and despite trying to hold on fell off about 5 strides after the fence. If this was a rated event we would have been eliminated, but they let me get back on and continue and we had a fantastic run over the reminder of what was a full up course. I was really pleased with how she jumped considering we were so out of practice. Plus we jumped our first corner fence and our first coffin combination - woo hoo! Here are pics of Firenze doing what he does best - pull faces!

No comments: